I remember landing in Honolulu and looking over at Tess thinking we were insane for leaving and seriously considering getting on a flight to go back to Kauai. But eventually we boarded our flight to LA and I felt my heart breaking the further and further away we got from Hawaii.
In the LA airport I looked over and the girls were just dragging their bags through the airport, with brown Jess lugging around a big wooden surfboard. We looked like we were marching to our own funerals, I mean really feeling the Christmas excitement at this point.
I remember looking out the plane from LA to Salt Lake and seeing the snow covered mountains, looking down at my flip flops and shorts and short sleeves. When we landed and walked through the jetway to the airport my eyes welled up with tears I was so cold and shocked. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to see my family just not excited to be in Utah.
They brought me Cafe Rio but I was just temporarily excited to see my house and my nice bed. I don't think I moved from laying in front of the fireplace for a week.
My poor family, I think they were a little disappointed I wasn't so happy to see them and be home. Christmas was fun, but after Christmas morning I was ready to board the next plane and head on back to what had become my home! Although my Christmas pajamas did show off my tan quite nice. Ever heard of the song, "One of these things is not like the others?"
Was this really my life? Did I used to be this beautifully browned? This was the day before we left, spending every last second on the beach before going home to start packing up. It seems like a lifetime ago, yet it seems like yesterday.
For those of you who tell me to "get over it" and "move on" I am telling you thanks for your advice, but I'm sure it could be better used by someone who cares. You try moving from Hawaii to Utah and see how much you love it! I will trade my own room, my big bed, and all the luxuries I have here for a Hawaii zip code again.
So Mele Kalikimaka to everyone. The song has been playing in my head continually this Christmas season.
Ahh the memories. I will never forget that day...
5 comments:
not that i want you to, cause we like having you here, I think you should go move back there and work for the same company? why not? it would be AWESOME!
Hawaii is so great, but I'm glad you're back. Maybe next time we should go together!
I have been home from Italy for almost three years and still feel EXACTLY the same way you do! So...when are we really going to be friends again. Friends that actually hang out?!
Hey, I say you move back so we can come visit you! Becky
I couldn't agree more Hil. Get me back to there right now! I hate this place! "There is no way this is the place!" -as I am walking through huge piles of slush ruining my new boots! Ugghhh!
Post a Comment